Did your home recently suffer water damage? Are you unsure whether it's worth it to file a repair claim with your homeowner’s insurance? We don’t blame you. While home insurance policies are generally pretty straightforward about what falls under their coverage umbrella, in the case of water damage, it’s not always clear.

So which types of water damage will your home insurance pay to repair? Check out the breakdown below.

Types of Water Damage Covered by Home Insurance

Almost all homeowner’s insurance policies will cover internal water damage to a home if it happens suddenly and unexpectedly. That means that if the water ever touched the ground outside before it entered the home and caused damage, the repairs probably won’t be covered.

Generally speaking, you can use your home insurance policy to pay for water damage restoration services for the following types of damage:

●        Water damage resulting from extinguishing a fire

●        Sudden and accidental water overflows from appliances, such a toilet, dishwasher, washing machine, or burst water heater

●        Sudden plumbing problems, such as a burst pipe or frozen plumbing

●        Water intrusion through a leaky roof

●        Damage caused by a snow, rain, or thunderstorm (provided the damage wasn’t caused by flooding outside)

●        Vandalism

Types of Water Damage That Are Not Covered by Home Insurance

As mentioned, if the water that damages a home has touched the ground outside, that’s generally considered flood-related damage. Homeowner’s insurance policies don’t cover that because flooding is covered by flood insurance. In addition to excluding flood damage, most home insurance policies will also refuse to cover the following types of water damage:

●        Ground seepage, which can happen in low-lying areas and cause crawlspace or basement flooding

●        Water damage caused by negligence (if you fail to maintain your plumbing system properly and it develops leaks, your insurance won’t pay for repairs)

●        Damage caused by sewer line, water line, or floor drain backups

Water-Related Mold Damage: Is It Covered?

In most cases, mold that grows as a result of accidental water damage (not from a flood) is covered under home insurance. However, the amount of coverage can vary considerably from provider to provider. Some insurance policies cap their coverage at $5,000, while others will pay for remediation of up to $10,000 worth of damage. Many providers also offer mold endorsements or floater policies that provide additional coverage since comprehensive mold remediation can cost upward of $30,000.

Contact Kiser Construction for Expert Water Damage Restoration Service

If your home suffers any degree of water damage, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our restoration team at Kiser Construction. Our water damage cleanup specialists are IICRC certified and fully licensed, bonded, and insured. We’ve proudly served Elk River, MN and the surrounding Twin Cities metro since 2003 and can help you file your insurance claim from start to finish. To get a restoration estimate or learn more about how we can help you, call us today at 763-633-2010 or contact us online for more info.