When you’re dealing with water damage inside your home, don’t assume your homeowner’s insurance policy automatically covers the cost of remediation. Insurers are super specific about what they will and will not cover when it comes to water damage, so you need to know exactly what to expect.

When water damage is sudden and unexpected, it’s almost always covered. But when damage results from a flood or neglect, it’s not covered. Below, the water damage restoration experts at Kiser Construction dig into insurance coverage specifics for household water damage.

Which Types of Water Damage Does Homeowners Insurance Cover?

If you have a standard homeowners insurance policy — about 80% of homeowners have this type of policy — it only covers sudden, internal water damage to your home. This type of policy also stipulates that the water that damaged your house must never have made contact with the ground outside — specific, right?

Basically, the water damage must have been caused by an approved peril that homeowner’s insurance covers. A few of those perils include:

●        Unexpected plumbing disasters like frozen plumbing, burst pipes, faulty plumbing, etc.

●        Accidental water overflow from a fixture or appliance, like your bathtub, sink, washing machine, toilet, etc.

●        Water damage caused by extinguishing a fire

●        Vandalism

●        Snowstorm or rain

●        Roof leaks, but coverage typically only applies to damage inside the home, not to the roof itself

If you’re certain which perils qualify, review your policy details or contact your insurance representative for a full breakdown. You certainly don’t want to assume something is covered only to find out you’ll be on the hook for the cost of repairs!

Which Types of Water Damage Aren’t Covered by Homeowners Insurance?

If water doesn’t result from an unexpected occurrence or a sudden accident, it’s usually not covered under your insurance policy. Examples of this type of damage include:

●        Flooding

●        Water damage that results from improperly maintained plumbing

●        Water seepage from the ground

●        Sewer backups or other pipe backups

If you’re worried about basement flooding or groundwater seepage in your area, make sure you have a sump pump installed and it’s fully operational. Since this type of water damage is usually preventable, your insurer won’t cover it (and of course, the water touched the ground, so that’s an automatic disqualifier).

In addition to a sump pump, you should also purchase additional flood insurance if your home is in a low-lying area that’s prone to ground seepage or water accumulation.

Water Damage, Mold Remediation, and Homeowners Insurance: What’s Covered?

Mold remediation may be partially or fully covered by your homeowners insurance, depending on what initiated the mold growth. If the mold began growing after a qualifying water damage incident, it’s considered an extension of the water damage, and therefore, remediation qualifies for coverage under your insurance policy. 

But if the mold resulted from a flood, remediation isn’t covered. If mold started growing because you had a pipe that leaked for months on end, that’s considered neglect, and again, remediation isn’t covered. If you’d like to know the specifics of your policy, contact your insurer. 

Kiser Construction: Your Twin Cities Source for Comprehensive Water Damage Restoration

If your home suffers water damage, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team at Kiser Construction. We specialize in comprehensive water removal, water damage restoration, and structural drying and serve the entire Twin Cities metro area. We’re also happy to help you through the insurance claims process in your time of need. To learn more or get started, give us a call today at 763-633-2010 or send us a message, and we’ll be in touch.

For 24/7 emergency service, please call our emergency line at 612-518-8852.