Minnesota winters are harsh. We all know that. Kiser Construction wants to help you prepare and check everything off your list to fully winterize your vacation home. Whether you’re a snowbird heading south, or a cabin owner locking up, you’ll thank yourself when summer returns and you come back to a safe, clean, and pest free home.
The following are things that should be done and inspected prior to locking up your home for the winter.
- Drain toilets and fill with RV anti-freeze.
- Drain back pump for well point.
- Turn off water for all faucets to your sinks and tubs.
- Inspect around toilet for leaky seal.
- Inspect caulking around tub.
- Empty fridge and freezer.
- Leave doors open to dry-out.
- Empty all trash cans.
- Clean out garbage disposal.
- Remove all food to avoid varmints.
- Pour RV anti-freeze down sink drain.
- Bleed water lines.
- Turn off valves under sink.
- Turn off and bleed water to fridge and freezer.
- Inspect your roof for holes, critter holes, nests, or missing shingles.
- Inspect screens.
- Inspect the chimney to see if it’s broken or damaged.
- Inspect for missing siding.
- Inspect foundation for cracks.
- Inspect water spigots.
- Clean vents of debris.
- Clean gutters.
- Clear hazardous limbs off trees.
- Pull dock and lift out.
- Cover fire wood outside.
- Secure and lock all out buildings.
- Block and cover fireplace so critters can’t come in.
- Inspect and repair exterior door hinges.
- Set mouse traps.
- Inspect attic for pests.
- Put out dryer sheets and moth balls.
- Spread diatomaceous earth around the foundation of your home to keep bugs away.
- Lock all doors and windows.
- Inspect window seals for leaks.
- Turn off gas and water mains.
- Close off all propane lines to the grill and fireplace.
- Once turned off, purge all gas lines from the stove, fireplace, and other gas appliances.
- Make sure you have spare keys.
- Remove all valuables.
If you follow these steps prior to leaving for the winter, your home should be in tip-top shape when you return. However, if you come across any damage don’t hesitate to contact us for all of your fire, water, storm and remodel needs.